Please remember to have a map, bring plenty of water and salty snacks, wear a hat and sunscreen, and leave no trace. These are just some suggestions, but there are endless ways to string together great hiking routes in Sedona.
Hiking suggestions for Route 11 from SR 89-A Park & Ride
Dry Creek Vista Trailhead
- Hike out and back to Devil’s Bridge via either FR 152 or Chuckwagon Trail. Both of these routes connect you to the Devil’s Bridge Trail.
- Round trip hiking length to Devil’s Bridge via Chuckwagon Trail and Devil’s Bridge Trail -> 5.7 miles
- Round trip hiking length to Devil’s Bridge via FR 152 and Devil’s Bridge Trail -> 3.9 miles
- Want a shorter way to Devil’s Bridge without having to walk on a dirt road? Get dropped off at the Mescal Trailhead, and take Mescal trail towards Chuckwagon Trail. Then take Chuckwagon Trail to Devil’s Bridge Trail.
- Round trip hiking length to Devil’s Bridge via Mescal Trailhead -> 4 miles
- Hike a longer, mostly traversing loop from the Mescal Trailhead using Mescal Trail, to the Mescal Connector Trail, to Long Canyon Trail, to Dead Man’s Trail to Mescal Trail, and back to the trailhead. Can be hiked either clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- Round trip hiking length -> 4.5 miles
Hiking suggestions for Route 12 from Posse Grounds
See above under the Dry Creek Vista Trailhead section.
Hiking suggestions for Route 14 from Posse Grounds
Soldier Pass Trailhead
- Hike the Soldier Pass Trail as far as you want before you decide to turn around. It is relatively flat until it kicks up toward the end of the trail. It will eventually “t” into the Brins Mesa Trail. Highlights on the trail include the Devils Kitchen Sink Hole and the Seven Sacred Pools.
- Round trip out and back on Soldier Pass Trail -> up to 4.5 miles depending on how far you choose to hike
- For a challenging loop with 846 feet of elevation gain, hike the Soldier Pass Trail to Jordan Trail to Brins Mesa Trail to Soldier Pass Trail. Can be hiked either clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- Round trip hiking length -> 5 miles
Hiking suggestions for Route 15 from SR-179 Park & Ride
Cathedral Rock Trailhead
- Hike the famous Cathedral Rock Trail up to the top in between the towers. Don’t be fooled by the short distance: it is straight up hill and almost vertical in some places. Note: there are many other ways to connect to Cathedral Rock Trail including trails from the Baldwin Trailhead, Little Horse Trailhead, Yavapai Vista Trailhead, and Courthouse Trailhead.
- Round trip hiking length -> 1.2 miles
- Hike down to the creek via an out and back starting on the Cathedral Rock Trail. Then take a right on Templeton Trail for approximately a mile until you end at Oak Creek. Remember: leave no trace.
- Round trip hiking length -> approximately 3 miles
Little Horse Trailhead
- Hike to Chicken Point out and back via Bell Rock Pathway to Little Horse Trail.
- Round trip hiking length -> 4.3 miles
- Hike along the scenic Bell Rock Pathway for an easier, less rocky experience as long as you want before turning around and hiking back the way you came.
- Round trip hiking length -> up to 7.2 miles depending on how far you choose to hike